American Legion Auxiliary Unit 1244
Founded in 1919, the American Legion Auxiliary is the world’s largest women’s patriotic service organization. With a membership of nearly 800,000, local American Legion Auxiliary units have a strong presence in more than 9,000 communities nationwide.
The American Legion Auxiliary’s mission to serve veterans, the military and their families is carried out through its hundreds of outreach programs delivered by its members, volunteers and national headquarters.
A group of 20 officers who served in the American Expeditionary Forces (A. E. F.) were asked to suggest ideas on how to improve troop morale. One officer, U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., proposed an organization of veterans, which we know today as the American Legion.
After the formation of the American Legion, a number of women's organizations wanted to become the official affiliation of the Legion. The women who had served so faithfully during the trying days of the war wanted to continue to serve. After careful consideration, the committee agreed that a new organization should be made up of the women most closely associated with the men of The Legion, and that these women would serve with the Legion, in peace as they had in war. The committee decided to build a new organization from the ground up, so the Auxiliary could then carry forward the phases of Legion activities more suitably performed by women. In less than one year, 1,342 local units of the Women’s Auxiliary to the American Legion had been organized in more than 45 states
The American Legion Auxiliary has been dedicated to serving veterans, military and their families for nearly 100 years. Auxiliary members exemplify Service Not Self through countless volunteer hours, programs, conferences and an increased presence in Washington, D.C. Although things have changed since the American Legion Auxiliary’s establishment in 1919, the one thing to remain the same is members’ unwavering commitment to honor those who serve.
Unit 1244 President